We are OPEN, and due to COVID-19, we are happy to conduct consultations via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Call Today 678.929.8921
Benefit from the Experience of Attorneys Bill and Valerie Sherman Former Assistant Attorney General, Assistant County Attorneys and Magistrate Judge

Woodstock, GA: Stop my foreclosure!

Question: I just got notice in the mail that our mortgage company is going to foreclose on our house. I haven't paid the mortgage in about 9 months. I was hoping that we'd have more time in the house. We need to have some more time so we can move into my mother's house in Woodstock. I know that if we file either a chapter 7 or a chapter 13 then we can have some time to move out of our house. But if they foreclose then we have to leave pretty much have to leave in 2 weeks.

I just need to stay there an extra month. We really don't want to keep the house because the payment is just too high and we can't afford it. I work and so does my wife but we can't afford this home; I don't know why we bought it. I own a bar in Woodstock and my wife works as a dental hygienist.

If we file bankruptcy will we get that extra month or two at our house before the foreclosure kicks in? I need to know because I'm working hard trying to open another bar and we need to do some renovations at my mother's house because we have 3 kids.

K.J. in Woodstock.

Answer: A bankruptcy filing will stop the foreclosure, at least for a little while. You can put the mortgage arrears into the monthly payment to the bankruptcy trustee and pay the arrears off over 5 years if you choose to file a chapter 13. If you file a chapter 13 it may completely prevent the foreclosure.

Or, if you file a chapter 7, that should buy you some time before the foreclosure. If you file a chapter 7, there is no exact time before the foreclosure will occur. Generally speaking, it will delay the foreclosure from 1 to 4 months.

About Us

When you need a Woodstock bankruptcy lawyer, we are always here for you.

When you need a fresh financial start, the Sherman Law Group will help you navigate the system. People deserve help. So when you need a Woodstock bankruptcy attorney to answer questions, just call us at 678-215-4106. We serve the entire Atlanta metro area and North Georgia.