We are OPEN, and due to COVID-19, we are happy to conduct consultations via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Call Today 678.929.8921
Benefit from the Experience of Attorneys Bill and Valerie Sherman Former Assistant Attorney General, Assistant County Attorneys and Magistrate Judge

Can I Keep My Racehorse If I File Bankruptcy?

Question: I'm a dentist but I also breed and race horses all over the country. I haven't had a horse in the Kentucky Derby, Belmont Stakes or Preakness, but maybe someday I will. I live in Milton and my office is in North Fulton.

I need to file bankruptcy because of a divorce and because my ex-wife spent a lot of money on credit cards. We remodeled our home and we bought a lake house we couldn't afford. I bought jet skis, a sailboat and a speed boat. That's all before I developed a gambling problem. I bet over the internet on sports like football, baseball and basketball. Then I got into soccer and cricket. I had a big problem. Then I got into drugs and alcohol.

Some of my investments lost money and I got my car repossessed and my bank account was frozen by a creditor.

Now I'm in recovery for drugs and alcohol. I'd really like to keep my best horse when I file bankruptcy. Can I keep the horse if I file a chapter 7 bankruptcy? When my friend filed bankruptcy he was able to keep his dog, which was a mutt, so maybe you can keep any animal. My horse is valued at over $100,000.00.

Answer: It's unlikely that you will be able to retain a racehorse with a value of $100,000.00 if you file a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Due to the animal's substantial value, it will be viewed as an asset by the bankruptcy trustee. If you file a chapter 13 bankruptcy, however, you may very well be able to retain the horse.

People routinely keep their animals, like your friend's pet dog. If the animal has a low monetary value like most pets, it should never present an issue for bankruptcy.

About Us

When you need a Milton bankruptcy lawyer, we are here for you.

Our law firm will help you navigate the system to get the fresh financial start that you deserve. When you need a Milton bankruptcy attorney to answer questions, just call us at 678-215-4106. We serve the entire Atlanta metro area and North Georgia.