We are OPEN, and due to COVID-19, we are happy to conduct consultations via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Call Today 678.929.8921
Benefit from the Experience of Attorneys Bill and Valerie Sherman Former Assistant Attorney General, Assistant County Attorneys and Magistrate Judge

When Does A Wage Garnishment Stop?

Question: I have been getting a wage garnishment for about 2 months. I need to make the garnishment stop. They are taking a big chunk of my pay check. I am getting garnished because I couldn't pay a credit card bill from a few years ago after I got laid-off from a job in Alpharetta and I got divorced from my wife of 18 years. We have 4 children. We lived in Duluth before we got divorced. Now I live in Roswell in a condo.

Now I'm back working at a restaurant in Sandy Springs as the manager and I need all the money I can earn for bills, rent, car payments and child support. My ex-wife said she was going to sue me for the child support that I'm behind and I'm worried that I might go to jail. I always paid her something for child support but since I've been dealing with a garnishment I haven't been able to pay everything that I should. The garnishment is causing me all sorts of problems and I'm really worried.

I need to stop the garnishment as soon as possible. How do I stop the garnishment and when can I do it?

Answer: We have many bankruptcy clients who have been garnished. Once you file bankruptcy and get a case number the garnishment must stop. If the garnishment continues, then that creditor is in violation of the bankruptcy stay. When a bankruptcy petition is filed with the court, a case number is generated. You should inform both your employer and the creditor that you have filed, provide them with your case number and then the garnishment should end.

About Us

When you need a Roswell bankruptcy lawyer, we are here for you.

We will help you navigate the system to get the fresh financial start that you deserve. When you need a Roswell bankruptcy attorney to answer questions, just call us at 678-215-4106. We serve the entire Atlanta metro area.