We are OPEN, and due to COVID-19, we are happy to conduct consultations via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

Call Today 678.929.8921
Benefit from the Experience of Attorneys Bill and Valerie Sherman Former Assistant Attorney General, Assistant County Attorneys and Magistrate Judge

Johns Creek: Will bankruptcy stop a wage garnishment?

Question: My job just got a notice of wage garnishment for me. My boss said he has to start taking the money from my paycheck in several weeks. I really can't afford a garnishment. I need the money in my paycheck; I need all of my pay.

The debt is from an old credit card. I don't even remember it. I don't think they even sent me papers saying I was being sued. But now I'm going to be garnished. I need the garnishment to go away.

My friend said that your law firm filed for bankruptcy for him and then he wasn't garnished. He said that if I file a bankruptcy they can't take my money. I need to know if that's true. If I need to I'll file bankruptcy.

I work in Johns Creek at a car dealer and my wife doesn't work. She's at home with our 2 kids and 1 of them is autistic. I need to make my mortgage payment and my car payment. But that will be hard if I'm garnished.

How do I stop the garnishment?

S.B. in Johns Creek

Answer: If you file for bankruptcy the garnishment must stop. Many people use the bankruptcy process to stop a wage garnishment. By filing a bankruptcy the garnishment must, by operation of law, terminate. Either a chapter 7 or chapter 13 will stop the garnishment.

We have stopped many garnishments by filing bankruptcy for a client.

About Us

Need a superior Johns Creek bankruptcy lawyer? We're always here for you.

When you need a fresh financial start, the Sherman Law Group will help you navigate the system. Americans deserve a fresh start.

So when you need a bankruptcy attorney in Johns Creek to answer questions, just call us at 678-215-4106. We proudly serve the entire Atlanta metro area and North Georgia.